16th Annual Meeting: October 19 - 22, 2006
West Palm Beach, Florida, USA
The 16th Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS) will be held October 19 - 21, 2006 in West Palm Beach, Florida, USA. Special Interest Groups Day will be held October 22, 2006. The venue will be the West Palm Beach Marriott Inn, a beautiful site for conferences located adjacent to City Place, Clematis Street entertainment district and the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts. The venue is only two miles from Palm Beach International Airport, and a short drive to Miami.
This three-day conference is directed to those involved with the health-care, education, administration and supervision of dancers, including physicians, allied health professionals, alternative healthcare practitioners, psychologists, arts administrators, artistic directors, choreographers, educators, scientists, movement specialists, and dancers.
Upon completion of this conference, attendees will:
1. Gain insights into the causes and treatments of musculoskeletal problems in dancers, as well as strategies for prevention.
2. Enhance their understanding of recent dance science research and its application to the training and treatment of dancers.
3. Develop an awareness of the physiological demands of dance.
4. Enhance their knowledge regarding the psychological issues that affect dancers.
5. Be inspired to move in new ways and to incorporate new techniques into their teaching after participating in a variety of movement sessions.
6. Increase their ability to communicate effectively with other dance professionals, be they dancers, dance educators, dance scientists, movement specialists, or health care professionals.
Special Interest Groups Day
This special one-day conference (Sunday, October 22, 2006) will consist of meetings for specialty groups from the dance medicine and science community. A Day for Teachers, "Dance Teacher's Survival Guide," will focus on the physical and psychological health and well being of teachers of all ages. Techniques and concepts applicable to experiences in and out of the classroom will focus on both injury prevention and management in order to promote lengthy and healthy careers as teachers of dance. The goal of Doctors Day for Orthopaedic Surgeons is to facilitate structured exchange of knowledge and experience, and to foster, establish and maintain friendly and collegial contact amongst dance-medicine interested orthopaedic surgeons and other MD’s. The format will be scientific sessions in the morning, followed by a lunch and social event in the afternoon. The whole day is open to all participating medical doctors. A Day for Physical Therapists and Athletic Trainers is for anyone interested in the conservative treatment of dance injuries. The day will focus on the foot and ankle, including common injuries, causes and treatment, and will include both lecture and practical sessions. Emphasis will be on the exchange of ideas, techniques and knowledge with other allied health professionals.
Virginia Wilmerding, PhD - IADMS President (Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA)
Marika Molnar, PT, LAc - (New York, New York, USA)
Rachel Rist, MA - IADMS Past President (Tring, Hertfordshire, England)
Donna Krasnow, MS – IADMS Conference Director (Toronto, Canada)