14th Annual Meeting
October 14-17, 2004
San Francisco, California, USA
The 14th Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS) will be held Friday-Sunday, October 15-17, 2004 in San Francisco, California, USA. "A Day for Teachers" will be held Thursday, October 14, 2004. The meetings will be hosted by Saint Francis Memorial Hospital, Center for Sports Medicine/Dancemedicine. The venue will be the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway (1500 Van Ness Avenue), three blocks from the hospital and a short distance from Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square.
This three day congress is directed to those involved with the health-care, education, administration and supervision of dancers, including physicians, physical therapists, athletic trainers, alternative healthcare practitioners, nutritionists, dance company administrators, artistic directors, dance educators, dance scientists, and dance movement specialists.
Upon completion of this conference, attendees will:
1. Gain insights into the causes and treatments of musculoskeletal problems in dancers, as well as strategies for prevention.
2. Enhance understanding of recent dance science research and its application to the treatment and training of dancers.
3. Develop an awareness of the physiological demands of dance.
4. Enhance knowledge regarding the psychological issues that affect dancers.
5. Be inspired to move in different ways and to incorporate new techniques into their teaching after participating in a variety of movement sessions.
6. Communicate more effectively with other dance professionals, be they dancers, dance educators, dance scientists, movement specialists, or health care professionals.
A Day For Teachers
This special one day conference (Thursday, October 14, 2004) will focus on promoting dialogue between dance teachers, dance medicine practitioners, and dance scientists regarding the implications and applications of current dance science research. A Day for Teachers will also feature segments devoted to teachers of dance kinesiology and related wellness and injury prevention courses in a college setting.
Spaces at the 14th Annual Meeting and at A Day for Teachers are limited, so register early!
Rachel Rist, MA - IADMS President (Tring, Hertfordshire, England)
Virginia Wilmerding, PhD - IADMS Vice President/President-Elect (Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA)
David S. Weiss, MD - IADMS Past President (New York, New York, USA)
Marika Molnar, PT, LAc - IADMS Education Committee Chair (New York, New York, USA)
James Garrick, MD - Medical Director, Center for Sports Medicine (San Francisco, California, USA)
Izabel Loinaz - Dancemedicine Specialist (San Francisco, California, USA)