15th Annual Meeting
November 3 - 6, 2005
The 15th Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dance Medicine and Science (IADMS) will be held Thursday-Saturday, 3-5 November 2005 in Stockholm, Sweden. Special Interest Groups Day (including A Day for Teachers) will be held Sunday, 6 November 2005. The meetings will be hosted by Balettakademien (Ballet Academy, Stockholm) and Folkuniversitetet (Stockholm University, Extramural Department). The venues will be the Balettakademien and the Norra Real Upper High School, one of Stockholm’s most famous educational institutions. Located in central Stockholm, Balettakademien is one of the largest and most important schools in Scandinavia, offering a three-year vocational course for dancers.
This three-day congress is directed to those involved with the health-care, education, administration and supervision of dancers, including physicians, physiotherapists (physical therapists), athletic trainers, alternative healthcare practitioners, nutritionists, dance company administrators, artistic directors, dance educators, dance scientists, and dance movement specialists.
Upon completion of this conference, attendees will:
1. Gain insights into the causes and treatments of musculoskeletal problems in dancers, as well as strategies for prevention.
2. Enhance their understanding of recent dance science research and its application to the training and treatment of dancers.
3. Develop an awareness of the physiological demands of dance.
4. Enhance their knowledge regarding the psychological issues that affect dancers.
5. Be inspired to move in new ways and to incorporate new techniques into their teaching after participating in a variety of movement sessions.
6. Increase their ability to communicate effectively with other dance professionals, be they dancers, dance educators, dance scientists, movement specialists, or health care professionals.
Special Interest Groups Day
This special one-day conference (Sunday, 6 November 2005) will consist of meetings for specialty groups from the dance medicine and science community. A Day for Teachers will focus on promoting dialogue between dance teachers, dance medicine practitioners and dance scientists regarding the implications and applications of current dance science research to dance teaching practices. The meeting for Dance Kinesiology teachers will bring together those who teach, or who aspire to teach anatomy, kinesiology and related skills to dancers in a variety of settings, and will present brief presentations, discussions and movement experiences related to common challenges faced when teaching dance kinesiology. The meeting for Orthopaedic Surgeons is to exchange knowledge and experience, and to foster, establish and maintain friendly and collegial contact amongst dance-medicine interested orthopaedic surgeons. The scientific part of the day (morning sessions) is open to all participating medical doctors.
Rachel Rist, MA - IADMS President (Tring, Hertfordshire, England)
Virginia Wilmerding, PhD - IADMS Vice President/President-Elect (Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA)
Marika Molnar, PT, LAc - IADMS Education Committee Chair (New York, New York, USA)
David S. Weiss, MD - IADMS Past President (New York, New York, USA)
Fay Nenander, Dance Educator, Head of Studies, Balettakademien (Stockholm, Sweden)